It is currently Mon Dec 18, 2017 12:33 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Fully molded scratch built DLG
PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 6:03 am 

Listening to the show this week and the talk about molding and fiberglass work reminded me i haven't shared this over here yet. A few of us local flyers got together at the tail end of last year and pooled our money together to built our own DLG project because we wanted something different than what was on the market. Based on our group leader Traian's design we decided to do a completely take apart DLG...basically the wings will come off, both tail surfaces are removable AND the control linkages stay on the plane, and it will be able to packed into a hard cased carry on for travel. Right now we have a group of 6 guys that come on different days during the weekend and sometimes the week to accomplish different parts. The first couple of months were spent polishing all our molds, which Traian has machined (journyman machinist for Phillips). Right now we have been prepping our molds and done a couple of fuselages with varying degrees of success. The wing control and take apart system are a work of art especially since we have changed directions and decided to do 4 servos in the pod (mine will be 3 as i prefer a rudderless plane) and all the aileron control is contained in the fuse.

You guys can follow along, check our current progress, and look at the pictures we have taken so far here:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1800565

Post subject: Re: Fully molded scratch built DLG
PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 7:37 am 

Oh, that is totally awesome! :thumbup:

What I wouldn't give to be able to just machine the mold instead of having to make a plug first, then lay up a mold over the plug..... :face

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 6:14 pm 

getting closer and closer. Learning a lot about molding parts and how to lay composite fabrics. It really puts into perspective why DLG's or gliders for that matter cost so much.

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 7:08 pm 

Looking great! And yes indeed, once you get a good look at what it takes to make a high-end composite airframe, the cost doesn't seem so crazy after all does it? :lol:

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 8:34 am 

It's official we have our first set of completed parts to make a prototype. Everything came out of the molds absolutely awesome and the freekote worked great, nothing stuck and it all just lifted out.

I started weighing things as the came out of the molds so this is all untrimed weight, probably .5-1g less per part after trimming.

rudder & elevator (includes the slip on mount) - 15g
Single wing panel - 61g
Fuselage - 40.5g

After seeing the rudder attachment in action i cant believe anybody let alone most DLG's havent employed this method instead of having to slot the boom, this one just slides on.

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 8:24 am 

Oh. That's gorgeous!

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 10:18 am 

This looks to be an extremely well thought out project. But then I don't know anything about DLG's!

Once you have the processes and and any mods sorted out is the plan to do any sort of limited production run?

I bet you could sell all you could make.

Keep us posted this is very interesting.

Cheers

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 10:38 am 

Right now we haven't fully discussed our selling standpoint but i do believe we will do at least a limited run to recoup all our costs (6 guys and each put in $300 to purchase all the materials) but you're right we have had a ton of interest just from the standpoint of being able to easily transport the plane

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 8:23 pm 

not much to report on the maiden, turns out we had some erroneous glue get somewhere and bind an aileron linkage causing a stripped servo. We basically just got in a test glide which went really well. Its also the first time the entire build crew has been in one place at the same time (we split up the work days depending on when we can make it)

a link to how our aileron linkages are setup, pretty trick little setup that keeps everything in the fuse
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showpost ... tcount=372

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 5:21 pm 

SUCCESS!!!! unfortunately i was not there in person to experience it (stupid job) i did however send my hero3 with the guys to get video. After some trimming flights and working up to it the planes flies/launches great. It also assembles fairly quickly at just around 7minutes and thats going slow. I currently have the plane in my possession and will have my own review of the plane sometime this week.