It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:00 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Max Wind Speed for a Glider/Sailplane?
PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 4:22 pm 

Went out to fly yesterday because what was happening via the weather information and the real weather didn't match up and so I just flew my 600N. I had loaded up my 89" Slick but it really doesn't like the wind. I got to thinking while I was out there about sailplanes/gliders and the wind.

My club does have a sailplane fun fly every year and apparently some members have some pretty nice set ups. Right across the road from our flying field is one of the fingers of Palo Duro Canyon (the second largest in the U.S.) and you can usually get some good currents apparently. Plus, it's on the east side of the field so you won't go blind flying in the afternoon.

Nevertheless, this is West Texas and the winds can be pretty bad. I know gliders/sailplanes have a lot of lift to them because they wouldn't do what the do otherwise. So, helis can handle the wind pretty well but what about gliders/sailplanes?

Last edited by Notorious B.E.N. on Sun Jun 30, 2013 6:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Mex Wind Speed for a Glider/Sailplane?
PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 6:14 pm 

Ben, the fastest RC aircraft in the world are slope gliders (450+ mph). Does that answer your question? ;)

Post subject: Re: Max Wind Speed for a Glider/Sailplane?
PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 6:43 pm 

Well I knew the slope gliders were the fastest, I just didn't know if the typical LMR and other type gliders were similar.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 7:24 pm 

Ah, I gotcha.

It very much depends on the design of the glider. Something like a Radian, or what we would call a "floater" or "gasbag" certainly doesn't like a lot of wind. Those types of models simply can't go fast enough to return upwind after chasing a thermal downwind.

A modern "moldie" composite thermal duration ship however is quite capable of 100 mph speeds in a shallow descent, so it's not really an issue when it's windy. It just makes finding the thermals more work. :)

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 8:21 pm 

Cool, I have the Nike 2 Warmliner which I'm sure could handle the wind. I just didn't know if the regular style LMR type sailplanes (TopModel Albatross or Sport) could handle the wind.

I have a Radian too and it's a lot of fun but can be difficult to land. I mostly fly it around my house because it will probably disintegrate if I hit something like a someone else's house...

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 8:40 pm 

Oh heck yes, that Nike 2 wouldn't care one bit about the wind. The only time I find wind challenging for most planes is on landing, when the air near the surface tends to get pretty bumpy.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 2:24 pm 

Hi my wind strength meter for slope flying used to be if the 35meg tx aerial didn't snap it was all good to go , although being thrashed by pebbles blown off the beach got annoying ! I don`t jest , the coast guard station on the cliffs on the Isle of Wight had a stone go through its window picked up 250`below from the beach . Finding enough lead for ballast could be a problem but gaffa tapping tools out of the car around the fuselage helped .
If you have the will and correct kit, flying on windy days is not to be missed !