It is currently Sat Nov 16, 2019 8:40 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Home conversion of SC glow Engine to Gas !
PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 4:40 am 

Hey guys have you seen this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BmlEwEx7z4w it is amazing, he has converted an old cheap SC 52 glow engine with the same Carb to a gas engine! i would like to know how to do this , so if you guys have any thoughts or ideas i would be most open to them.. Great show by the way .. :-)

Post subject: Re: Home conversion of SC glow Engine to Gas !
PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 1:24 pm 

I have not done this, but from my knowledge of IC engines it would be a fairly simple process with a 4 stroke engine. basically you would need a spark plug and an ignition module and thats about it. You would need to time the ignition properly to fire the plug at the proper time during the power stroke. You will most likely have to drill and tap the head to replace the glow plug with a spark plug as I am not aware of spark plugs that small. You would need to make sure the new plug maintains clearance from the piston. Also the exhaust back pressure may need to be changed. (smaller/larger exhaust opening not sure which just have to play with it) another thing that I would recommend is to run quite a bit of oil until you find the sweet spot.

Post subject: Re: Home conversion of SC glow Engine to Gas !
PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 11:38 am 

The spark plug on the Evolution 10, 15 and 20 cc engines is 1/4-32 which I believe is the same as a nitro engine. Tuning the carb would most likely be a headache. Gas engines use roughly 1/4 as much fuel as a glow engine does. That means the holes in the spraybar etc are tiny compared to glow. I think your best would be to just buy a small gas engine. If you want to go to the work of doing it yourself the ignition module from the Evolution series of gas engines should work you would just need to add the magnet to the fly wheel. Lots of work in my opinion when you can buy small gas engines at a reasonable price.