It is currently Sun Nov 18, 2018 9:42 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: FRsky Taranis Buddy Box
PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 12:42 pm 

Hi, I currently use Futaba FASST on a 8FG tx. My son (9) is looking to get into the hobby and I am now at a bit of a sticking point. I dont really want to spend much cash on a second FASST system, and the cheaper and Futaba FHSS wont work with FASST so I cant buddybox with that.

I was thinking that I could get myself a FRSKY Taranis, with a Spektrum module for my indoor planes ( currently use a Futaba with Spektrum module) and my Son a DX6 or similar, a cheap but useful radio.

My long winded question is will the FRSKY buddy box to a Spektrum? I head the other other week that you guys had one delivered and thought you may be able to answer. I have tried google and other forums but tend to get conflicting information.

Thanks for the work you put in.

RIchard.

Post subject: Re: FRsky Taranis Buddy Box
PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 3:21 pm 

Richard, I'm afraid I don't know the answer to that. I suspect it will not, at least not without some kind of wireless trickery. See these posts where one of our clever listeners used FrSky receivers to do wireless buddy boxing with another brand:
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=1280

Some Google-Fu also found this mini how-to on how to create a wireless trainer setup for Futaba using a FrSky receiver:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2114419

Hope this helps!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 5:47 am 

Cheers Chris :thumbup:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 6:12 am 

I've tested my Taranis with a buddy cable to Spektrum and Graupner, both worked fine. The Taranis lets you map any channel from the trainer port to any function you want, so it's easy to make it work right. However, if you want to be cool, do it wirelessly, Frsky sells FASST compatible receivers with CPPM out that would let you use your 8FG wirelessly with the Taranis, or the LemonRX with PPM out will do the same thing with Spektrum. I haven't done it, but you could certainly make a cable that could power the RX from the USB port on the Taranis so you don't have to hook a separate battery up to power the rx, or you could pull power form inside the radio like I did in that thread to make it all go.