It is currently Wed Jul 18, 2018 6:04 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Backyard FPV for Birthday
PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 10:33 am 

Hosts,

I'm an avid listener from Austin TX. My soon to be 14 yr old son Elliott has wanted FPV for over a year. His grandmother says she will pay for a system up to $200, I'll cover the rest.

Elliott is an accomplished pilot with planes and helicopters (especially Chris' previous 300x) He and I are having fun racing EF-1 planes. The FPV racing is now on our radar. He has a 450 quad that I think flies like a pizza box thrown from a plane. So, along with an FPV setup I want to get a small durable quad that he can fly around our large tree filled yard.

I know this is a huge question with answers that change every time something new comes to market. After lots of time reading online I've found FatShark Teleporter V3 RTF from ReadyMadeRC for $199.

Is the Teleporter good enough? I've looked through the Dominator and Attitude and thought both had poor image quality. Yes, I know this is where the technology is for now and no I can't afford an HD setup. The next step up appears to be more than $100. I'm aware that the Teleport do no have head tracking. Is this a must have?

There are many small durable quad frames. If we get the FPV above is there a minimum quad size to carry the load and still fly decent?

Any advise is appreciated. He would be very happy with any FPV on a fun to fly quad.

Thanks and keep up the great work.
Brian Turner

P.S. Ordering from China may not be an option. His birthday is October 5th. And if you want to personally say happy birthday to him we will be racing EF-1 at the Hill Country Aeromodelers field that day.

Micros Planes and Helis, 300x, Trex 450, 3DHS Edge 540, EF-1 Racers, Stryker, P-47, Sport Cub...

Post subject: Re: Backyard FPV for Birthday
PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 12:16 pm 

Hi Brian

I just sent you an email and a PM

give me a call, I'm sure we can get you started in the right direction.

Cheers

Ben

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 12:54 pm 

Yeah Ben has some sweet frames. Also here's another option in the 250 sizethat works well and is pretty cheap. Get some RCX, Sunny Sky or the cobra motors and it will carry FPV no problem.

I picked up one of these before Ben had his available and it works really well... it's actually pretty well thought out.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 1:08 pm 

Hey Brian! I won't be able to make it to see the EF-1 race, but tell Elliot happy birthday for me! Let me know if Ben and Mike don't get you fixed up, but I'm sure they will. They (and others) here in the forum know a lot more about FPV than I do. :)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 1:36 pm 

Hi Brian

It was great talking to you just now, ill get back to you with what we discussed this evening.
We will get you set up with a Tricopter no problem.

Mike

Those polakium frames are pretty neat and pretty much indestructible!
A friend of mine has one and crashes it on a regular basis.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 3:14 pm 

OK. Ben has answered the aircraft questions by phone and email. What great service. Elliott will be flying FPV on Ben's T-Copter with the Flip 1.5 and Lemon RC receiver. He also gave me good info on some FPV equipment.

I've now talked with people that have experience with the FatShark Predator, Attitude and Dominator goggles. Attitude and Dominator won't fit in the budget. I need to decide between the Teleporter and Predator considering availability and expense of better antennas.

The most recent show I've listened to has Bobby saying something about the start of this forum and how it has become a nice forum with lots of helpful members. I agree.

Micros Planes and Helis, 300x, Trex 450, 3DHS Edge 540, EF-1 Racers, Stryker, P-47, Sport Cub...