It is currently Mon Sep 24, 2018 12:20 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Cody's Thoughts on the EF 83 MXS
PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 8:30 am 

So, I was thinking of getting into pattern but the contests are too far and IMAC dates and travel just aren't going to work for now either. I'm interested in getting something that's an everyday flyer and the Extreme Flight 83 MXS interests me.

I'm looking at both the gas and electric versions. If I went gas, I'd probably go DA 35 as it seems to be a little more powerful than the VVRC 40 (which is also a pretty cool motor) and I'd probably go with a Jtec Pitts on it. If I didn't go that route, I'd like to do a ProFlow can. Is the DA 35 on a pitts or ProFlow enough or do you really need a tuned pipe?

I also fly at 4000 ft. so I will have some loss in power from the altitude. It's also exceptionally windy here and a the calmest it may be on the weekend is still 15-20 mph winds.

The other option is to go electric and there are two routes there too. One is to go with a Motrolfly 4330-195 of 12S 3300-4000 or to go bigger in which I'd probably go with one of the Hacker A60L (probably the 14L but maybe the 18L) and a 12S 5000 battery set up using Zippy Compacts. I already have some 6S 5000 mah Zippy C's I'm using in my E7 and I'm looking at getting a battery tray system to make them easier to load. I could also change up the connectors to make it a little more conducive to changing applications for the packs.

I've been interested in doing a larger electric and I'd like to be able to get 6 minutes or more flight time. The plus side is if we do get a nice day on the weekend from September through early June (which seems to be rare here) all I have to do is charge the packs and go and I wouldn't have to worry about carb problems from sitting for weeks or months due to bad weather. The down side is flight times and I'd have to think about getting a generator which I could use for field charging packs for the E7.

Post subject: Re: Cody's Thoughts on the EF 83 MXS
PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 3:26 pm 

Thought about it and I'd go gas. I'm going to look at getting a 60-70" electric or a different airframe to put my DA 60 in.

Post subject: Re: Cody's Thoughts on the EF 83 MXS
PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 8:10 pm 

Hey Ben,

I have also owned a really nice pattern airplane and found that I didn't fly it much. It was a great airplane and did exactly what it was supposed to, but I had XA airplanes that did it all, and I liked those more.

To be honest, I don't like the Pro-Flow cans. They are heavy, not that quiet, and don't add any power. Originally they were developed for better midrange on the DA-170 but I never had that issue on mine. For not too much more money you can use an ES pipe on a DA 35 that turns it into an animal. That thing is an absolute monster with that pipe.

If you go electric, you will be flying with the same batteries as a 700. So if you can charge that, you are golden. Also, the power won't be affected by the altitude like it would with gas. Just prop for about 5000 watts. But you should get 8 minutes of flying time pretty easily.

I've also owned 40cc gas planes and 60cc gas planes and the effort in getting them in the air, as well as the cost, is pretty similar. The smaller ones are just easier to transport.

Cody