It is currently Mon Jul 22, 2019 4:26 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: RC Today Show 106: Joe Doran Talks FPV
PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 4:36 pm 

In this episode: Chris, Bobby and James are joined by local pilot Joe Doran. Joe talks about FPV setups, and is coerced into doing this show's Ten Minute Tip about FPV. James has to leave early to go to work, but he has time to fill us in on his escapades with the AS3Extra. Tune in!

http://wp.me/p2wnPS-n0

Post subject: Re: RC Today Show 106: Joe Doran Talks FPV
PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 7:58 pm 

Cool. I'll get to figure out how to spend more money I don't have. :)

ParkZone P-51 BL, Hobby King Skipper

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 10:16 pm 

Here are a couple other tips for starting out in fpv, while I only fly quads it really helps to have a spotter when your a nu-be. he can help you by calling out your altitude and such. also with a spotter you should discuss a flight plan so he will have an idea what will happen. The first flights I made were simple figure 8's over the run way at our club field. also while a osd is nice and cool it can be an information overload for some one new and RTH is only necessary when you start to fly out at any distance. I would also recommend setting the quad for stable mode (auto level) so if you get in trouble you go neutral on the stick and add throttle. Also you should have the video on a higher freq then your rx so that the harmonic doesn't interfere.

One more thing I believe that all frequencies need a ham license, I'd like some one to prove me wrong but I've been researching this for my club and 900m 1.2, 2.4 & 5.8ghz falls in the ISM bands under part 15 of the FCC stating that they are unlicensed for FHSS digital communications. I cant find anything about analog video without a Ham tech license.

edited to make statement correct.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 7:18 am 

beer-man wrote:
Here are a couple other tips for starting out in fpv, while I only fly quads it really helps to have a spotter when your a nu-be. he can help you by calling out your altitude and such. also with a spotter you should discuss a flight plan so he will have an idea what will happen. The first flights I made were simple figure 8's over the run way at our club field. also while a osd is nice and cool it can be an information overload for some one new and RTH is only necessary when you start to fly out at any distance. I would also recommend setting the quad for stable mode (auto level) so if you get in trouble you go neutral on the stick and add throttle. Also you should have the video on a higher freq then your rx so that the harmonic doesn't interfere.

One more thing I believe that all frequencies need a ham license, I'd like some one to prove me wrong but I've been researching this for my club and 900m 1.2, 2.4 & 5.8ghz falls in the ISM bands under part 15 of the FCC stating that they are unlicensed for FHSS digital communications. I cant find anything about analog video without a Ham tech license.

edited to make statement correct.

I believe the license is needed if the Tx has more power than 500 mW.

I started with an inexpensive flat-screen tv driven by the 5.6 GHz Rx.

Rick

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 9:18 am 

Hey, Bobby,

This frame:

http://flyingcinema.com/cinetank.html

Glass, not CF so the signals get thru.

Literally a tank. Solid construction.

Rick

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 9:42 am 

Nice show guys. Loved it.

Rick I just saw that the other day also. I would love to try it but my DJI / TBSDiscovery (Frame) are doing well so I don't want to spend more money. Super cool though.

Helis: 7HV, Trex 550, Warp 360, Trex/Clone 450Pro , Nano CPX

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 11:58 am 

This episode of All Things That Fly has plenty of good info on the soon to be released Eagle Tree system.

ATTF #282 - FPV With Eagle Tree Dec 2013 Interested in stabilization, FPV, and on screen displays? Boy have we got a show for you! Bill Parry from Eagle Tree Systems joins us to discuss his products including the new Vector all-in-one FPV unit. Tune in!

Pete

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 4:32 pm 

rickn816 wrote:

I believe the license is needed if the Tx has more power than 500 mW.

I started with an inexpensive flat-screen tv driven by the 5.6 GHz Rx.

Rick

From what I've read that can deceiving too, FCC uses a measure of power radiated (DB) at a certain length. so just changing you TX antenna could put you over. Then still this applies to ISM bands and FHSS. The only thing I've seen unlicensed analog transmission is that if it doesn't have an FCC number on it or in the manual then you'll need a ham license.

If anyone knows of any links to documents stating other wise please post them, I need to find out for may club. They are going to instate a rule that FPV Pilots will require a ham license.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 8:08 am 

Porsche911 wrote:
This episode of All Things That Fly has plenty of good info on the soon to be released Eagle Tree system.

ATTF #282 - FPV With Eagle Tree Dec 2013 Interested in stabilization, FPV, and on screen displays? Boy have we got a show for you! Bill Parry from Eagle Tree Systems joins us to discuss his products including the new Vector all-in-one FPV unit. Tune in!

Pete

I have two units ordered. Can't wait.

Rick

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 8:10 am 

Twistedgrim wrote:
Nice show guys. Loved it.

Rick I just saw that the other day also. I would love to try it but my DJI / TBSDiscovery (Frame) are doing well so I don't want to spend more money. Super cool though.

It will be my second. I built one of Lucien's hex machines. Very heavy stable camera platform. The "tank" will be for flying. I really like the GoPro mount. The overall design of the frame is also outstanding.

Rick