It is currently Tue Dec 10, 2019 9:44 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: RC Today Show 107: Cody Wojcik Talks XA
PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 7:15 pm 

In this episode: Chris and Bobby are joined by Cody Wojcik, who tells us about his sponsors and the art of XA (Xtreme Aerobatics). We also convince Cody to do this week's Ten Minute Tip on gas engine tuning! Tune in! (pun intended)

http://wp.me/p2wnPS-np

Post subject: Re: RC Today Show 107: Cody Wojcik Talks XA
PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 5:37 pm 

Thanks for having me on guys, I really enjoyed this!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 6:37 pm 

It was great, Cody!

And good news: My DLE 30 started and ran flawlessly today! :thumbup:
I think I had an air leak around the backplate. I took it all apart last night and used green loctite liquid around the backplate before reassembly. It even sounded different when flipping, so I bet it had a leak. :face

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 11:05 pm 

Hey guys,

Just wanted to say that it was a great show. Started listening around a month or so ago and now it's my background to most of my builds. I'm somewhat upset with you guys though due to the fact that I'm now wondering if the wife would notice a Crack Turbo Beaver hanging on the wall.... :?

Any way, Keep up the good work.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 9:35 am 

To deal with the voltage to the ignition module of my DLE-30, I use this guy:

http://rcaircraftcomponents.com/product-category/engines-mufflers/ibecs/

It gives optical isolation to the kill-switch and provides enough filtering to run everything off a single battery. I personally use a 2S A123 (2300mah LIFE) pack and safely get 5 flights before charging it back up in 10 minutes.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 9:44 am 

Stoats wrote:

It gives optical isolation to the kill-switch and provides enough filtering to run everything off a single battery. I personally use a 2S A123 (2300mah LIFE) pack and safely get 5 flights before charging it back up in 10 minutes.

I use the same thing. It really simplifies everything in the aircraft.

When the IBEC craze really hit, there were a few on the market. There was one from 42%, one from Wike, and this one. The Techaero version is the only one that seems to have no issues. I highly recommend them.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 10:51 am 

smit6089 wrote:
Hey guys,

Just wanted to say that it was a great show. Started listening around a month or so ago and now it's my background to most of my builds. I'm somewhat upset with you guys though due to the fact that I'm now wondering if the wife would notice a Crack Turbo Beaver hanging on the wall.... :?

Any way, Keep up the good work.
Thanks! And just wait till you hear what Bobby has to say about his Crack Turbo Beaver. ;)

And welcome to the forums! :thumbup:

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 10:52 am 

Stoats wrote:

I like that! Right now I have two batteries, an optical kill switch, and a regulator for the ignition. Too many wires!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 1:05 pm 

JustPlaneChris wrote:
I like that! Right now I have two batteries, an optical kill switch, and a regulator for the ignition. Too many wires!

To many wire and to much weight. Remember on the DLE ignitions the older AO1 was 4.8v-6.0v so NO direct 2s LiPo or LiFe input. But the newer AO2 ignitions are 4.8v-8.4v input so direct 2s or Life input is OK. DLE has the input voltage printed on the ignition module to tell the difference. Like Cody said the IBEC band wagon had it's early issues and I used the 42% product version with out issue in several models with out issue. But lately (on newer ignition modules) I have been running straight A123 into the ignition with a basic $19.95 RCEXL Opto kill switch in line (with or with-out a mechanical switch) and have been very happy with the simplicity and low weight. I use only 1 A123 2200mah (round cells) to power everything on 33% and smaller machines. Only issue is no power back-up of any kind. But I usually have to worry way more about my thumbs killing a model off way more than any power system failure.

http://www.valleyviewrc.com/estore/rcexl-opto-gas-kill-switch-free-shipping.html

Some of the best knowledge/service around (especially on DLE engines) can be had from the gang at ValleyViewRC. Just great all around people to deal with.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 1:29 pm 

Cody,
It was great having you on the show. No doubt quite the enabler. :face When you told Chris that the Crack Turbo Beaver was a good trainer for learning rolling harriers I thought you had completely went off the deep end. Yesterday I put the maiden on mine and just did not expect it to fly like that. Inverted harriers, rolling circles, rolling harriers, easy peasy hovering. Holy crap this thing is a blast. I did manage to break one of the carbon fiber axle rods on the 4th flight. Totally my fault. Mine is set up with the recommended power system and the provided 9" prop. I think I'm going to try a 3 cell pack with an 8" prop. Would have liked just a tad more power. What battery & prop are you running?