It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:26 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: RC Today Show 152: Freeze Fly
PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 8:40 am 

In this episode: Chris and Bobby are joined by Eddie, KC, Doug, and Kenny, and spend some time talking about the upcoming events at Apache Pass as well as other random and sundry things. Tune in!

http://wp.me/p2wnPS-yb

Post subject: Re: RC Today Show 152: Freeze Fly
PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 8:15 am 

The FPV from a car made me think of this: http://youtu.be/eT-MyPDnf4A

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 3:44 pm 

Listening to the conversation about the found quadcopter made me think. Why not put a text file or a jpeg containing your contact details on the SD card of the camera? It wouldn't be immediately obvious, but would be found by anyone trying to track the lost aircraft's owner. Also it would move between airframes with the camera.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 11:07 am 

Chris, can you post some details about your Quanum headset mods? Also, did you just get the headset or did you get the bundle that included the RX, TX, and camera? I'm wondering if the RX will work with the Eflite Nano QX FPV? I'd like to get the Nano for house flying this winter and get something bigger in the spring. I just can't justify the cost of the Fatshark headsets, yet.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 11:58 am 

RudeJoe wrote:
Chris, can you post some details about your Quanum headset mods? Also, did you just get the headset or did you get the bundle that included the RX, TX, and camera? I'm wondering if the RX will work with the Eflite Nano QX FPV? I'd like to get the Nano for house flying this winter and get something bigger in the spring. I just can't justify the cost of the Fatshark headsets, yet.
I got just the goggle kit, and purchased a different TX/RX setup. Looking at their bundle, the receiver looks to be the same one I bought. Having 32 channels means it will talk to basically everything, including the Nano.

As for my mods, I just built an extension onto the foam box that sets the display about 30mm further away from my face. I found that even with a good magnifier lens it was straining my eyes to focus.

Speaking of lens, I robbed the lens out of a pair of these:

http://www.amazon.com/Jewelers-Lighted- ... 005VR19ES/

I also have a set of these, and they come with several different lenses. Should also work and gives you more options:

http://www.amazon.com/Housweety-Profess ... B005VIG6TA

I mounted the lens to the stock frame using a bit of hot glue.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 5:05 pm 

Question for Alex about the new Ikon update.

Will us mere mortals (sport flyers) notice any improvement over the original firmware?

Is it worth updating if my intentions are to only fly scale helicopters with it?

Cheers

Ben

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 6:54 pm 

JustPlaneChris wrote:
RudeJoe wrote:
I got just the goggle kit, and purchased a different TX/RX setup. Looking at their bundle, the receiver looks to be the same one I bought. Having 32 channels means it will talk to basically everything, including the Nano.

As for my mods, I just built an extension onto the foam box that sets the display about 30mm further away from my face. I found that even with a good magnifier lens it was straining my eyes to focus.

Speaking of lens, I robbed the lens out of a pair of these:

http://www.amazon.com/Jewelers-Lighted- ... 005VR19ES/

I also have a set of these, and they come with several different lenses. Should also work and gives you more options:

http://www.amazon.com/Housweety-Profess ... B005VIG6TA

I mounted the lens to the stock frame using a bit of hot glue.

Thanks Chris. I've been trying to follow a couple other threads on RCG for these type of goggles. There is a guy in Europe making this type of headset with a vac formed tub. He's quite a bit more expensive and it just now moving away from the Fresnel lens to the type you are using.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 7:40 pm 

DJI modified their firmware so their products will not fly in DC. Next up is firmware that prohibits flying within 5 miles of an airport. How about altitude limits?

Now, this won't stop all the knuckleheads out there, but from here it looks like they are taking the responsible route.

http://techcrunch.com/2015/02/06/drone-maker-dji-rolls-back-buggy-update-that-restricted-d-c-flights-following-white-house-crash/?ncid=rss

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 9:20 pm 

I think the Firmware already has altitude limits set, the problem is that you can turn these features off as well as the no fly zones.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 8:23 am 

If you have to knowingly turn those limits off, that is a problem with the operator, not DJI. I know they get a lot of flack, but what would you have them do, sell a product that can only fly certain places because idiots buy their product? That would be like making it so the Splinter-V is only capable of flying certain places...not something you can or should have to do!

Don't blame the "DRONE", blame the operators.