It is currently Wed Sep 18, 2019 9:50 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 80 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 8  Next
 Post subject: Re: RC Today Show 154: From Tiny to Humongous
PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 10:08 am 

It is a shame because the reliability of Spektrum gear being what it is I only trust it on my small stuff now. I wouldn't dream of putting it on my TBS discovery but for a miniquad the dx6 would be ideal.
I recently bought a DX6 and I must say I'm impressed with it. The voice alerts made getting it worthwhile. I don't have anything that can fully exploit the telemetry as I use OSD's for longer range gear and FPV. but just knowing which flight mode you are in is really useful especially if you are wearing goggles.

I did consider the taranis but I really want the horus when it comes out so I am saving myself for that one.
Plus I just wanted something that was plug and play for the little bnf's I have deprived myself of for so long now...

Someone new would be hard pressed to find a simpler more versatile radio for the money all they need now is a ppm out on a mini RX.

/Steve

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 10:39 am 

I'm using the orangeRX R615X DSMX receiver on my miniquad which has PPM output. I use it on Naze32 and it works perfectly, pretty much plug and play.

I believe if you have a new DX6/DX9/DX18 you can mimic SBUS with OrangeRx PPM receivers like the R615X or R800X using channel mapping on TX side as spektrum channel sequence (TAER) differs from Futaba/SBUS std (AERT?)

I tried to use SBUS on a Orange R800X (which has pigtail aerials which I really like) with my Naza V2 Phantom a while ago - it connects OK but the channels don't align, and I couldn't do the channel mapping as I only had my DX8 at the time, and I use 7th channel for gimbal so can't use new DX6 either.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 10:50 am 

You would have been disappointed with a channel-remappable Spektrum transmitter anyway. Spektrum does not allow the collective, roll, and flip channels to be remapped in HELI mode. Bobby and I found that out when we were trying to get the Orange RX's S.Bus to work on Stingrays with DX9s.

ParkZone P-51 BL, Hobby King Skipper

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 12:00 pm 

Chris, I was a little disappointed to hear your stance on Amazon's delivery ideas. Here is a decent interview of the exec in charge of their new division. Think of the number of items Amazon sells on a daily basis and then consider 80-90% of those weigh less than five pounds. It would be a staggering number.

Sure saying every item Amazon sells will be delivered by drones is crazy, but if even a small segment of those lighter items can be delivered that way, it would be huge. I really don't think it's as much of a pipe dream as it sounds like.

I also truly feel that at first it is going to be something like this.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 12:42 pm 

tpalshadow wrote:
Chris, I was a little disappointed to hear your stance on Amazon's delivery ideas.

I know, I'm being grumpy about it. But really, am I really the only one who thinks it's just a dumb idea? :thinking
The Horsefly method has a little more sense about it, but it still seems like a solution to a problem that doesn't exist. :dontknow

jv8 wrote:
Hey Chris - you mentioned the hobbyking composite DLG is not great. Care to elaborate? Is it still a step up from the Libelle foamy?

Performance-wise it will be a step up from the Libelle, but out of the box it's going to require a bit of care to get it flying. There's a pretty detailed build /evaluation thread here:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2336910

For the money it's probably still pretty darn good, but I decided to wait for the woody DLG after reading through that thread. YMMV. :)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 1:31 pm 

Quote:
JustPlaneChris wrote:

I know, I'm being grumpy about it. But really, am I really the only one who thinks it's just a dumb idea? :thinking

Hardly the only one Chris. I'm sure to Jeff Bezos, sitting in a boardroom, it seems like a great idea, and just a logical evolution of current technology. But like you, I see this as a pipedream at best. Dogs, trees, humans, poles, cars, cats, {insert your obstacle here}. The number of sensors these things would have to carry would inhibit performance for sure.

Not to mention that delivery would be near impossible under current FAA rules if you live near an airport and within Class B, C, or D airspace. Weather would also affect the use of these devices, snow, rain, high winds, etc. So packages would be delayed while they are reabsorbed into the supply chain.

What about people who live in apartments? Rural addresses that are out of range of the delivery UAV's? I think that once you total up who you CAN'T serve with the UAVs, then it becomes much less viable cost wise.

While I do think companies like Amazon have looked seriously into this, and would very much like to lead in this technology. I also think a lot of it is PR for their companies. The company I work for is always releasing information to the press to stay in the public dialog, I think that is a big part of what Amazon is doing.

I don't think we will see any widespread use of this type of UAV any time soon. I'm with you Chris, it's a dumb, and unnecessary idea.

Tom M

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 2:03 pm 

I see your points, but I guess we'll just have to see.

I don't think anyone is proposing that every package Amazon (or any other company) ships will be delivered by drone. They also aren't saying they are just going to flip a switch and in every case you can deliver by drone. However, there are HUGE gains in profitability if they can find a model where it works. Look at the list of cities they already offer SAME DAY shipping. Now consider, as listed in one of the articles, that it can cost $1 a mile to using traditional methods vs. $.03 using a drone. I understand being skeptical, but if they honestly keep safety in mind and approach this wisely the upside of the technology is huge. Obviously a big hurdle is going to be the FAA and their regulations. I'm assuming that is why Amazon is making such a big stink and basically trying to threaten the FAA at this point (terrible idea in my opinion).

I also see this being a possibility in more remote areas, such as where my parents live. They are 25 minutes from the closest FedEx station and are Prime members. The FedEx driver has routinely told them their free shipping from Amazon takes him 15 minutes off a normal route to deliver to them. IF Amazon had a way to deliver that package via drone (I realize this isn't possible at this time) imagine how much of a savings that would be!

I'm not saying I 100% believe Amazon is close or capable of rolling this out to any level; but I do think we are on the verge of seeing something like this and there is no reason to say it is dumb and stupid.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 2:06 pm 

OK, I know I'm beating a dead horse here, but if you gave the RC Today Show listeners a couple $5 million...I'm pretty sure we could be delivering packages pretty quick.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 7:38 am 

I just realized Graupner has a $29 micro receiver with built-in telemetry (GR-12SH+).

Woo hoo - a 3D CP micro with the uBrain and telemetry! Can't wait. Spektrum's days are numbered for me. Micros were the last holdout.

Only thing better would be the ability to tune the uBrain with the TX... but bluetooth from the phone is fine.

BTW, I just set up the Graupner mz12 transmitter for the Brain last night... works great! This transmitter is only $120 if you discount for the included telemetry receiver. What a value - it does everything I need for Brain helis. Plus it includes full RX & ESC telemetry, wireless trainer, voice via earbuds, etc. You can even use it to tune Graupner gyros from the TX. I bought it as a trainer for my son but soon realized it does 95% of what I need. Well, probably 100% of what I really "need". And the display is visible in the sun. Only thing that sucks is the documentation. The switch layout worked out great for me but I could see it being limiting if you're used to a different setup.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 8:07 am 

Just listened to the end of the podcast, and logged on to rant, only to see other comments above.

I honestly thought Alex and Chris were kidding, but am shocked if they were serious. Alex - I thought you were a genius, now I don't know ?

The Amazon drone delivery is a 'newsformercial' - its a completely fake story just to get free publicity, every time someone prints or says 'Amazon' a 'kerching' sound effect goes off in their marketing department ! Every time any drone related story comes out, Amazon will jump on it for another round of 'kerching', they couldn't have been happier when the FAA rules came out, another round of 'kerchings' ;)

There are so many reasons this can never happen, its crazy, but just a few:

- Logistics - max range would be 2 miles, so you'd need drone depots all over the country, the only places these would be cost effective would be highest population densities where it would be most at risk of an accident hitting vehicles/tree's/houses/people, 90% of the worlds lawyers are in the USA*!

- Theft, to make a failsafe/resilient delivery drone is going to be worth thousands of dollars in parts, people are stealing car radio's worth $10, how long do you think the drones will last when every kid is going to use poles/nets/lassoo/firearms to snag some free parts and lipos (and whatever is being delivered!).

- sillyness, a pushbike is a much cheaper, safer, more capable delivery platform, you could do a lot more deliveries in a day with a bike courier, much more safely today, for much less outlay, why invest millions in a worse solution ?

- cost $0.03 a mile ?? Are you kidding me, it would cost more than that in logistics support and charging, given the insurance/risk/maintenance required you would be looking at $100+ a mile!

Only more stupid drone story I've seen recently is this one (hint, a model railway or conveyer belt):
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-31148450

*possibly not a real fact ;)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 80 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 8  Next