It is currently Tue Jul 14, 2020 4:35 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1199 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 120  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Notorious B.E.N. Flying/Building/Repairing Blog
PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 5:51 am 

Bigger flies better!

Not too much to update. I had to get some things for work done last night and I'll probably have some more office work tonight.

I did get the brass inserts for the tailwheel glued in last night. I also opened up the holes for that the wing bolts/anti-rotation pins go through in the fuse.

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 8:50 pm 

When I was gluing the root caps on the horizontal stabs, I marked and sanded down the top edge so that it was close to the shape of the airfoil but neglected to do the same on the bottom. So I am now working on getting the bottom to match. With it being lite ply, an 80 grit flapwheel sander really helps speed things up.

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2015 6:42 pm 

I went back to working on the incidences on my Dalton 300 this afternoon. The tail is done and with the retention bolts, I was able to adjust it and keep the stabs at 0 degrees pretty easily so they should be within 0.05 degrees of each other. I rechecked the stab incidence using the 1/4" bit like it was the anti-rotation dowel.

To help hold the wing in place and make the measurements, I took a piece of 1/2" balsa and cut a slot in it similar to the wing. I then clamp this to the fuse to hold the position. You really have to clamp down to keep it from moving. I had the clamp sitting on plywood in the fuse and you will crush the balsa a little with the tool, but it's OK.

After I drilled the first hole through the fuse, I found out a made a mistake. It turns out that when I put in the anti-rotation dowels, I put them in the wrong spots. I don't remember if I went off the plans but I know I didn't compare it to the fuse. So a lesson learned the hard way.

I was close on the front anti-rotation dowels but not close enough. So I opened a 1" hole with a forstner bit and had to remove part of the original anti-rotation dowel by drilling around the edges and then using a drywall bit in my dremel. I then went to the hardware store and bought a 1" dowel and cut it to lengths of each of the holes. I am gluing this in with poly glue and I will fill in any of the top gaps with epoxy and milled fiberglass.

I'm hoping this in an OK fix. The holes ended up slightly bigger than 1" and the new dowel is going through ply root. If I need to, I can dremel around the edge of the new anti-rotation dowel and fill that in with epoxy and milled fiberglass too.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2015 9:25 pm 

The last thing I did tonight was to use poly glue to glue in the anti-rotation pins to the stabs. The glue foams so the masking tape is to keep it from pushing out the pins.

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2015 3:30 pm 

Well it was supposed to be an OK day for flying but the winds stayed up through mid-afternoon. Since the pilot stations face to the west, it's not very enjoyable around 430 PM so I stayed home.

To correct my previous mistake, I used the drywall bit and cleaned out around each of the hard points. I only went down 5/16-3/8" and I did end up taking off some of the dowel that make up the hard point. However, since mine extend further into the wing and this is just to make sure there is not a material between the hard point and the ply root rib that can be compressed, I'm not going to worry about it.

I then mixed up a BIG batch of 30 minute epoxy with milled fiberglass and scooped it into a syringe to inject around the hard points. I was able to fill in some of the areas completely whereas it found areas to drain into on others. No biggie as I can mix up more and get it filled in.

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2015 8:45 pm 

After the epoxy set up, I decided to go ahead and try once more to set the incidence on the wings before I fill in the rest of the gaps around the new anti-rotation dowels.

Because I had drilled out one of the sides of the fuse for the 1/4-20 bolts yesterday, I cut some small pieces of ply and screwed the anti-rotation pins into them. I then glued them onto the side of the fuse with some medium CA. They will be removed later, but I need a way to center the drill bit. I also used a nut to hold them in place while the glue cured.

I then went about setting the incidence by anchoring the back first. It was a breeze!

Before I took everything apart, I made several measurements and everything seems to be lining up.

One nice thing about my screw up is now I can see where the anti-rotation pins go into the dowels. I can also now say that the wings and horizontal stab can all be bolted to the fuse!

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 10:02 am 

Thats a great recovery there Ben!

Really enjoying following your progress on this

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2015 7:19 am 

It's a busy time of year but I found a little time to work on the Dalton 300 last night. I mixed up some more 30 minute epoxy with milled fiberglass and finished filling in the gaps for the new anti-rotation dowels. I put the remainder around one side of wing tube on the outside of the fuse structure. It didn't quiet get into all of the gap but enough that it won't take much to fill in. I just need to make sure I have enough needles to get the glue in cleanly.

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2015 9:45 pm 

The phenolics are pretty much glued in. I just need to go around the horizontal stab tube on the outside to fill in any gaps. I also started to cut open the slots for the elevator servo wires. They're not clean yet, but I'll take a sanding drum and clean them up later.

After that, I got the desire to work on the turtle deck. I started by trimming and sanding the turtle deck. While sanding, I caught an edge and popped a small piece out. Little bit of glue will fix that.

I then cut and glued the strips of balsa to support the turtle deck.

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 7:37 pm 

I had a chance to go flying today. It was somewhat windy and I think there was a Fun Fly in a town about an hour north of Amarillo so I didn't take much. I took the Nike 2 warmliner, the TH Edge, and the 300X. I was going to maiden the Nike 2 but forgot the canopy so it didn't fly.

I got lucky with the 300X today. I neglected to secure the power wires going to the ESC and they had the insulation taken off by the main gear. My solution was one that I needed to do anyways, shorten the wires. Using APP's made this easy since I had my equipment with me.

I was able to get the turtle deck glued on my Dalton Extra 300 today too. I began by putting masking tape on a couple pieces of angle aluminum so if the glue got on it, I can still pull it off. It seems that I should have good contact between the 3/32" balsa strips and the turtle deck lower surface. Masking tape was also used to pull down on the turtle deck. I also believe the turtle deck is designed to fit on a slightly wider surface than what it is mounted on to make sure it fits well with the sides of the fuse.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1199 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 120  Next