It is currently Fri Nov 17, 2017 7:06 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Re: Chris' Evolution W: The woody DLG
PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 5:45 pm 

JustPlaneChris wrote:
I had the chance to take my Evolution-W out for some flying today. It was a chilly, breezy, overcast day so I expected it to be only useful for practicing launches and tweaking programming. At first, it was. But later in the day the breeze dropped off and the sun made a valiant attempt to appear. It wasn't much, but it was enough to kick off some weak lift.

Long story short: The Evolution worked that weak, scattered lift like a madman! I simply can't believe the weak stuff it will stay up in, lift that was so weak the buzzards would come over to see what I was in and then leave in disgust. Also impressive was the difference in speed (without trim change) when flicking the camber switch. Flick to "thermal" and it just hangs there. Flick to "speed" and it covers sky!

The lift dissipated fairly low (164m) but I flew till my neck was tired of looking up, topped off with a slow as a feather catch. Love it.

I'm thinking of picking up one of the last kits (if any are left) just to have in case I kill this one.

Traian flys near my house - North Atlanta Soaring Assoc. - about 10 miles from my house. Big tourney there last weekend. Never seen so many DLGs in one place.

I'm sure he is making more kits.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 7:48 pm 

He said over on RCG that this batch would be the last, it is taking too much time.

I have a composite-pod version on the way. :)

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2015 4:29 pm 

I finally got some video of my Evolution-W today, thanks to my patient wife. :)

This was mainly for my own education, so I could see my launch and work on technique. I can already see that I'm throwing "up" too much, I need to work on a level release.

I'm also still not happy with the way the radio programming is set up, much of it seems too complicated. I may just start from scratch, rather than using someone else's program. I did grab a short snippet of the logs (screenshot attached) that shows a few flights.

There's nothing special here, but it still beats doing laundry (which I must get back to now...)

Attachments:
DLG_LOG20151122.JPG
DLG_LOG20151122.JPG [ 71.74 KiB | Viewed 3429 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 9:04 am 

After weeks of bad weather on the weekends, yesterday's forecast was too good to be true (low 50's F, clear skies, light winds) so I took the morning off from work and headed to the field with my Evolution-W.

What a great morning! Nobody around, just me and a DLG. Lift started popping around 10am, giving me my best flight of 7:43, and the vario said 310 meters. DLGs are mighty hard to see at that altitude! Pictures below show the good flight (turned on logging just after launch) and a few launch-and-lands. I'm getting about 30-35 meter launches, which is good enough for me.

I think I should start every work (half) day like this. :D

Chris

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 4:04 am 

that's a beauty.